The field of pathology has experienced dramatic growth in the areas of informatics, clinical applications, standardized reporting and laboratory test utilization, electronic health records, workflow, and patient safety.
Providing funding of up to $1,200, the Informatics Award assists CAP Junior Members (pathology residents) in attending informatics-based educational sessions at the CAP Annual Meeting (Oct. 19-22, 2024, Las Vegas). The award is intended to defray the cost of travel/hotel expenses.
Attendance at the CAP Annual Meeting will give you exposure to real-world, practical applications in the ever-evolving field of informatics. Awardees will have direct access to industry leaders and a choice of several courses presented by experts in the informatics field.
All CAP Junior Members may apply. However, this award must be fulfilled prior to converting to CAP Fellow membership. All applicants will be considered regardless of age, race, gender, national origin, or religion.
Applicants should have authorization from their institution to attend the meeting. Awardees and/or their institutions should expect to cover any travel costs that exceed the amount awarded.
Recipients are expected to focus their meeting experience and learning on the field of informatics.
|Funded Up To||Focus||Eligibility||Timeframe|
|$1,200||Travel to attend informatics courses at CAP Annual Meetings to gain exposure and understand the impact on the specialty of pathology and patient care.||CAP Junior Members||Apply by April 4|
Submit the following materials, along with your application, by April 4, 2024:
- An essay of up to 750 words discussing:
- Your interest in applying/influencing the direction of informatics in patient care, why this experience is desired, and how it will enhance your training in pathology
- Goals for attending the CAP Annual Meeting informatics courses (eg, I would like to achieve the following…)
- Why you require foundation financial support
- Your plan to share and apply the knowledge gained
- A letter of recommendation from your program director discussing:
- Why you, the applicant, are deserving of this award
- Your interest in and potential for contributing to the field of pathology via informatics or health care informatics
- Curriculum vitae
- Professional headshot for use in Foundation web and print media (Requirements: 1+ megabyte, color, professional dress, neutral background; no selfies please)
Applicants will not be considered unless they include the above items and cover the essay points listed.
Awardees are required to submit a short evaluation form within 10 days of meeting attendance.
The CAP Foundation may also share the bestowing of this award and content from your evaluation form for promotional purposes via the Foundation’s website, social media channels, newsletter, or annual report.